Monday, May 28, 2012

Lessons

I have had TaterTot Casserole for at least one meal a day for the past 6 days. I am not sure where I end and the casserole begins. I am sick to death of TaterTot Casserole. . .and yet I am waiting for the microwave to ding so I can get my fill of it for yet ANOTHER MEAL.
Ding... . .lunch is ready. Yippee. Ugh





Being right has a downside and today that downside is covered in cheese. .


I am obsessively trying to trim our grocery expenses. . .I have made menus and shopping lists, clipped coupons and resigned myself to hitting every. store. in. town. Just to get the best deals. My husband fully supports this as long as he doesn't have to eat anything he doesn't want to when he doesn't want to. UGH! It really doesn't help that I am a reluctant cook at best. I have a handful of recipes I can successfully execute. (Rice is not something I excel at. Yes, I am THAT bad. .. . in fact the other day I unsuccesfully hard boiled 7 eggs. How can you mess that up?)

Leftovers are a battle. Every time he gets that studious look on his face and says "what do I want for lunch?" I tell him about our fridge full of leftovers. "Super yummy tatertot casserole would make a delicious and filling lunch." No joy.

So what's a gal to do? Lead by example, right? I have been leading for 6 long days now. . .tatertots are haunting my dreams. My husband however, had a nice lunch of pasta today. .. . while I had. . .. .


 Stubbornly trying to make a point. I am totally on the losing side of this. Waste not = waist more.


My husband cannot stop laughing about this. It seems futile. .. I fear this lesson is falling on deaf ears. Wait a minute, my brain is suffering from cheese overload. What's the lesson?

3 comments:

  1. Crockpot. Frozen chicken. Two cans cream of mushroom soup.(get the store brand=cheapest)Can of mushrooms if you like mushrooms. Dump all in crockpot. Let cook all day. Simple. Filling. Absolutley unmessupable. Is that a word? Anyway. There you go. Dinner and great leftovers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We would starve without crockpot meals. So thank you! I will share one with you as well! 4 frozen chicken breasts in the bottom of the crockpot. Add one jar of salsa, one can of drained black beans and one can of sweet corn. 30 minutes prior to serving add one container of cream cheese. Yup, put the whole thing in. You can alter this recipe after you have it this way once. You will not be sorry. I shred the chicken and mix it all up. Serve over rice or in torillas. .the leftovers are amazing!

      Delete
  2. Here's another great recipe for you:
    Baked Chicken Chutney
    Put 2 or 3 chicken breasts in a oven-proof dish, cover with your favourite Chutney (mango or lime or tomato). Cover the dish with aluminum foil. Pre-heat oven at 375 or 425 (i can't remember exactly which), put dish in the middle rack for about 20-30mins. check for chicken is cooked through - poke it with a skewer (stick) or fork & if clear liquid flows out, it's done. Serve with rice or boiled potatoes. Leftovers can be shredded for a fab chicken chutney sandwich the next day.
    Hope this helps...

    ReplyDelete