Monday, April 2, 2012

Knackered

Oh, I feel like complaining. And I shouldn't. At all. Precious Eli was up several times for no apparent reason. I thought he had a nightmare for the way he was crying and shaking. I hate that hiccup cry, it breaks my heart. Yes, perhaps I am a complete pushover for my son, but there you have it.

So, I picked him up and he asked for "rock n roll" which he asks for when he wants me to  cuddle him and rock him in the rocker. So cute. I squeezed him until he was able to quit hiccuping. Until he grew heavy in my arms. Until his sweet eyelids fluttered closed. Until my eyes grew heavy again. And then a bit longer. And a little longer after that. When I eventually put him in his bed, he slowly lifted his head and said "hi mama" and fell back to sleep. He is my little love bug.

But then I could not  sleep.  How LUCKY my sweet Eli is to have a Mama so willing to hold him when he is scared. Comfort him when he is sad or hurt. Snuggle him when he would rather be playing. He has what so many kids don't even dare to dream of.

Not just kids in Eastern Europe. Not just children with Special Needs. I feel very called to bring a Downs child home because of my personal life experience. Not everyone feels called to that. I understand that. On the flip side, God instructed us to care for widows and orphans. PERIOD. Not if it fits into our plans. Not if it is comfortable. Not if we feel called to it. He told us to care for them. PERIOD. This does not seem open to negotiation.

Those babies are crying, with no one to revel in the warmth of their cuddles. To watch their eyes slowly closed, secure in their Parent's arms. Every child deserves this, but SO MANY go with out. THAT IS THE BIGGEST SHAME. A crime. A reversible wrong.

I had committed to posting a child a day on my Facebook page for the month of March in honor of  World Down Syndrome Day. I am sure people are groaning into their coffees right now. . .but I cannot stop. My heart and conscience will not allow it. These children get no break. No respite. So how would I justify one?

Kolya 15H

Boy, Born July 2000
6e1n-15H
Look at the personality in this kid! Oh My Goodness! He is so full of life, And hope. And promise. And here I am feeling grumpy for my lack of sleep. I need to learn from this little love! My life is surely blessed!
I leave you snippet of my favorite church song.

2 comments:

  1. I have also felt called to adpot and/or foster. However, Eric is not on board with this...at least not yet... Someday, it WILL happen for me though. Maybe not until Landon and Ava are much older, but it will!!! I would love to take them with me on mission trips someday too. I want my kids to know how lucky they are, and to feel how good it feels to serve others! If you ever end up going to Eastern Europe, (or wherever!) to help with these children, please let me know. Money has always been tight, but the older I get, the easier it is to give up "luxuries" and "stuff" that I really don't need...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Megan I TOTALLY agree! I know this will happen for me too, I am just so eager since I have my eye on a couple of kiddos already. I know you will have SO much to offer children! You are a good Mama!
    I will totally tell you if and when I go to EE! If I didnt have Eli, I would be there already. How life changes!
    What an awesome experience to go over there with you and yours!

    ReplyDelete