Sunday, April 15, 2012

Things I never needed before. . ..

Before what?
Well, before I said "I Do" to something I couldn't have been less prepared for. Before I realized that saying "i do" would mean saying "i can't" to so many of my own wants and needs. Before my body turned into a separate entity while I was pregnant and has yet to return to something I recognize as my own. Before I opted to leave the security of my job to create a more secure upbringing for my mini me. . . .

As a not so young single woman (I married later than most) I never opened a romance book. Never. Blah. . .who needed it? Not me! Men, though a source of entertainment and free beers were not a source of romance for me. I never truly bought into the Disney fairytale scenario (which should have better prepared me for married life but really hasn't helped.) I was living a romance story all my own. . living my love of this planet. ..traveling all over and meeting fabulous people. I did not need to read about anyone's happily ever after. . .my life was it. I didn't feel like sharing it with anyone, no matter how special they were. haha. Honesty rocks. So why do I need romance now?? I miss the silly banter. . .the flirting. The butterflies you get when you know that someone is really interested in you. . .in reality life is no longer about flirting or even communicating about feelings. .. my conversations revolve around what I am making for dinner (ugh) how our finances are going, how many times Eli pooped today. .. the health of the dog. ..you know. Super riveting, stimulating and rewarding conversations. Enter Romance Novels. . .THANK YOU! (if my older sister reads this, I will totally deny, deny, deny. I teased her for far too many years about her love of romance novels.)

Chocolate cake. Decadent chocolate cake. . .Don't get me wrong. I have always been a sugar fiend, but not as an escape or a reward, I ate goodies as just part of my daily life. I have discovered the most decadent, sinfully rich and delicious chocolate cake just a 10 minute walk from my house. They serve perfect white wine at the same establishment. It is now my reward for sticking to my budget or for zipping up my pie-hole when I want to pick on my husband. . . .This doesn't happen as often as it should, so it is really a big treat when I walk in and sit down. "No, I don't need a menu, I know what I would like. .. and extra whipped cream, please"  I seriously want to rent a booth from them and move in. And stay forever. After a certain point, I will likely not be able to leave the booth on my own accord, and I might be okay with that.

Sexy shoes. . . .I loved rocking sexy shoes before. . .yes I did. I had more than one pair. Being pregnant. . .well my balance just wasn't conducive to sexy shoes. After pregnancy, it seems that my feet spread to hobbit-like proportions to handle all the excess baby weight. . .oh so lovely. My body is still not a friend to me .. . .Anywho, I gave up the idea of sexy shoes until 3 weeks ago. Until I saw them.  Sadly I really don't go anywhere worthy of said shoes. But I saw the MOTHER of all sexy shoes and I simply had to have them. AND THEY WERE ON CLEARANCE! Meant to be mine!  I needed the reminder of my before. . .. and low and behold, these shoes have magical powers. They were able to fit my Froto feet. . ..and still looked awesome! I was able to wear them without falling. .. without crippling pain and I almost felt like the before- Becki!
C'mon,isn't that one pretty shoe? I am in love...


I cannot really pinpoint how this all came about, life has been a whirlwind recently, but what I do know is this:

My bliss right now would be strapping on my super sexy shoes for no reason at all (maybe even if I a still wearing my yoga pants), grab myself a glass of wine and a LARGE slice of that dreamy chocolate cake, pick up a silly, sappy romance novel and get lost in it. Oh man! I think I know how I want to spend the rest of my day. .. well at least until Eli wakes up from his nap! I don't care if I never needed any of these things before, I am so happy that these three things have the ability to make me smile! When life gives you lemons. . .eat chocolate cake!


(I feel like this blog needs a disclaimer. Bummer. I love my husband. I do. See? I said it again . .   and I would still say "I do" but maybe not with the silly grin on my face that I had the first time.)

5 comments:

  1. It's the little things and those sound great to me too. I don't remember the last time I put on my sexy heels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for dropping by my blog. I look forward to reading yours as well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, you are hilarious. Far, far too often I had to nod my head in pure agreement (men were a good source for free beer, weren't they). I do miss the flirty banter, too. Ah, days of naps are now behind me, my almost 4 year old gave them up about a year ago...now that is added to my list of what I used to enjoy...nap time :).

    Thanks for making me laugh!
    amy @ whilewearingheels.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute shoe. I think I would totally trip in those.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So true! I had a doc tell me once that the best thing I could do for my relationship (and kids) is to go on dates with my husband.... Weekly was his preference, but... no. This means that I've started counting grocery shopping with him as a "date" or taking a walk together as a "date"... But, it's true that the one on one time helps :-) In the meantime, my body is not mine (Faith killed it completely!! She was 11 lbs 9.5 oz -- I just think that my body had the equivalent of twins). Brownies and pizza are good... And I just splurged at Hot Topic and bought Wonder Woman panties -- they make me SO happy!! :-)

    ReplyDelete