Sunday, September 9, 2012

The "yes"

Oh, I have crawled a bit back into my shell these days. Fundraising is making me want to run for the hills! I feel like I am back in high school and will be chosen last for dodge ball. It is not fun at all, but it is necessary, and so I beg! (Really quick update on fundraising. We are only $1822 away from being fully funded!)

People have been so very generous and we are blessed by literally HUNDREDS of angels that are supporting this adoption through prayer and donations, through kind words and support. It has made the dark hours of this journey a little lighter. You may never know just HOW much you have helped me along on this journey.

My husband and I have said "yes" to adoption and already our lives have changed. It is amazing. It does not mean that our lives are filled with nothing but joy in our decision. It is a BIG change, with a HUGE price tag, with any big decision there is a bit of doubt and naysayers and all around miserable people pounce on the chance to make you feel even less prepared or capable.

In the process, I have said "yes" to numerous friend requests. It is awesome how one "yes" can open your life to more opportunities to say "yes." My world is expanding and changing in ways that I never have imagined. In the process I have opened my life to other families on this journey, I have made wonderful friends and I have had the privilege to pray and cry with them when tragedy has occurred. With this expansion is an increase in tragedy and sadness as well as an increase in support and friendship. That is life. That is community. That is family.

I have witnessed children being loved and claimed by wonderful families. It restores my confidence in humanity, to know that there are people willing to love and welcome these children. To take a stand and make a difference. I have witnessed these same people ridiculed and smeared because someone else chooses not to support their mission. I have watched children refuse adoptive parents out of fear. Saying "yes" has allowed me to peak behind the curtain to see the realities of adoption and to be fully confronted with the absolute need for prayer.

The bottom line is this: God wants so many good things for us, for ALL of his children. HE offers us all the love in the world and all we have to say is "yes." More times that I care to admit, I have said no.. . or deferred with a maybe someday. I have allowed fear to silence my "yes" and have likely missed out on incredible experiences.
For a million reasons, we say "no" every day and turn away from all the amazing graces and blessings God has to offer us. .It is lovely, GOD IS SO GOOD! God never promised us that it would be easy, only that it would be worth it. All we have to do is say YES!




3 comments:

  1. Saying, "Yes!" is so hard. But the hardest things are almost always the right things. So it makes sense. Talk about scary, though. But so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So good Becki! Our motto this year or so has been "to live lives of YES!" God so blesses the yes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Saying "yes" is very hard; our minds always have a good excuse for saying "no". But I am reminded about the passage from 1 Samuel 15:22, "Obedience is better than sacrifice." When I feel out of my mind and under qualified to do this, God shows me again, just how BIG He is!

    ReplyDelete