Thursday, January 17, 2013

Now and Then

It has been made very clear to me that I should not attempt to get out of bed before 9. Ten is the optimal wake up time for this Mama. I know for certain that anything before 8 is ill advised. How do my kids not understand this? It is best for ALL involved that I not be made to open my eyes before 8. Work with me here, boys!

I realize this is another change in my ever evolving life. I was never an early riser and would choose to stay in bed until morning was nearly over, though I could get up and get to work by 8  or earlier on a regular basis.

That was then....this is now.

I find mornings to be torture. Perhaps if Opie didn't turn my insides into his own personal water bed every night, mornings would feel less apocalyptic? Perhaps if I went to bed wearing make up? I would be greeted with a less grotesque image first thing in the morning. . .surely THIS colors my day?
Surely this sight alone would convince my kiddos to sleep in a little. ..right? 

Oh, I fondly remember getting to the office with my plastic smile pasted on my face, mumbling "good morning" to my coworkers until I collapsed in my cubicle. My first order of business already done. The day was already a success. I was fully clothed, my hair done AND make up on my face. I was able to sit there in silence, facing the cold hard truth that I was no longer in my warm, comfy bed as my computer slowly came to life. But at least I looked presentable. . .and  I had a brisk walk with friends to look forward to....with a nice hot cup of coffee at my destination. Oh, that coffee never failed to put a smile on my face. The day was so much more palatable after that coffee. Sigh.


Now? Coffee is out. None for my Lil Opie....Instead of being able to stumble around in pretty zombie land....slowly facing the day, I am greeted with two loud and demanding terrors. . ."peeeeesat Mama!" "Breakfast!" I try to plaster that fake smile on my face but at 7 am.. . it just doesn't stick. Perhaps if I had some make up on my mug. . .it would?

I look around my kingdom....hmmmm job security? I used to attack housework with gusto. I had a list that I followed religiously. I had a method and it worked. Everything was sparkling and clean. Last night, instead of sweeping the entire kitchen/dining area, I simply swept under the boy's chairs and I called it good. I walked by my awesome chore list this morning. . .. I looked right at it and chuckled. So not happening.

I once heard that cleaning with kids at home is like brushing your teeth while eating oreos. I totally agree.

Perhaps if my brain and body did not go on a 12 month hiatus while pregnant life would feel more doable before 10 am? How much will I be allowed to blame on my burgeoning belly? Well, it is nearing 10 and I should attempt to tackle the mountain of laundry that is sitting next to me. . .or I could move it off the couch and ignore it.  Decisions, decisions.
The inner Becki....lucky hubby, eh?


Every now and then I look back and compare then and now. I should not. There is just no comparison. My life is so full and so messy; my appearance reflects this. Regardless, I am blessed.

2 comments:

  1. Oh I feel ya! I've become a bit of a morning person, but my poor, poor house. Mouth full of oreos here.

    ReplyDelete