Tuesday, January 1, 2013

2012: A Review

Oh, I had planned to write this yesterday, but sadly my cold and my body took over and so, this is being written today.
I started 2012 pregnant and amazingly enough I am ending 2012 pregnant. Not many people can say that. Between pregnancies we were blessed with great tragedy and bountiful love. I discovered the plight of special needs orphans and we welcomed one of these wonderful children into our lives and home. A year of incredible trials, great highs and devastating lows. It is amazing how God surely can turn tears into dancing.
Our Ukrainian pride and joy.
I have gained some wonderful new friends this year, friends who have blessed my life in ways I never could have imagined. Thank you for that 2012. The end of a year makes one look back and forward simultaneously. I find myself wanting to honor the struggles and successes of the past year whilst eager for the new year to begin. Bring on the clean slate!

The second pregnancy of 2012 has knocked me on my butt. Oh the nausea, the fatigue, the vomiting, the headaches. Did I mention the exhaustion? On Christmas Eve, Eli came down with a cold. This always means that Mama will soon come down with the same cold. Unbeknownst to me, this would usher in the end of an era. (If 6 years can be considered an era. . .)

Though I count myself a tomboy I am not a fan of sharing every bodily function with those around me. I believe that some things should be private. I am not a priss and often cannot help but giggle when Eli or Evan surprise with an especially loud emission; Hubby is not greeted with the same response. If he dares an audible, he is rewarded with a scowl. Through the 6 years I have known my hubby, I have strictly followed this adage. . .keep it private. Not all bodily functions are meant to be shared, no good comes of it. I am a bit more lenient with burps. . .especially during pregnancy.

Colds. Sneezing, sneezing sneezing. I have been known to enjoy a good sneeze. A hearty sneeze can be quite satisfying...if you are not pregnant. A sneeze whilst pregnant is a whole different ball game. During pregnancy, the smallest sneeze, can change my day, if I have not emptied my bladder in the past 10 seconds. If said 10 seconds have passed and a sneeze creeps up on me...this. means. trouble. I tense myself and pray for the best. This is not limited to sneezes, my body tenses with worry when I must blow my nose, laugh too hard, if someone looks at me funny. .. pregnancy is an adventure.

Yesterday, we were lounging on the couch...lamenting our snotty selves. Hubby on one couch and Eli on the other end of my couch. Evan was playing on the rug. The tell tale tickle of a sneeze presented and I knew there was no time to make a run for the bathroom. I would need to hunker down and hope for the best. . .I tensed and sneezed, a thunderous, satisfying sneeze. SUCCESS! Phew! Bladder in tact, however, another emission escaped. I heard it. Surely no one else heard it. . .the sneeze was surely too loud. Surely. And then. . .Eli started laughing. Hard. Followed by Papa. And then Evan. Really?  I had to stop Eli's merriment to make sure. "Eli what is so funny?" "Mama farted.. ." More laughing. After 6 years. . .Mama had an audible.

Though out of the woods, I retreated to the bathroom anyways, face burning.

May the embarrassments, disappointments and trials of 2012 vanish like a toot in the wind. I am ready for 2013!

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE IT!!!! 'bout time you joined the rest of us. Enjoy th freedom. :)

    2013 is going to be incredible. Blessings friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Becki,
    You always make me laugh so hard! But seriously, I was telling my mom your story the other day, and I want you to know that you are such an inspiration to me... You really did walk the walk of faith this year! I think of what you went through often, not just this year, but your whole adoption journey... Remembering this helps me to put my whole situation in God's hands. <3 Carrie (Beau's mama)

    ReplyDelete