Wednesday, February 6, 2013

what? gasp!

A new post? Yes, your eyes are not deceiving you. It is true that I have been spending the majority of my time making lemonade these days. That keeps me very busy.

I am not naive. I did not think that this adoption would be smooth sailing. I was prepared for a bumpy road. I really thought I was. To be honest it has not been too bumpy, more just a MAJOR adjustment. I really did not realize that adding one more person would create a whirlwind of laundry and noise, messes and work. So. Much. Work.

That sounds like complaining, but as stay at home moms know...sometimes just speaking the facts about our day sounds like complaining. With good reason. It can be a thankless, difficult job. That being said, it is definitely a job I signed up for 100% when I quit my career. I knew.  Um, kind of. What I did not know was how getting pregnant again would be the ultimate monkey wrench in my day.

I vacuumed today. I want a gold star. All you mamas....if you vacuumed today, I am giving you a gold star. It should not matter that when I was done with the sofa and the rug, I continued onto the linoleum in the kitchen, and the tiles in the bathroom. At this point, I am just pleased the floor is cleanish. To be honest, I kind of want two gold stars for this stroke of genius.

I am slowly letting go and realizing that being a mom means more than cleaning floors and showers. It is more than making dinners and lunches. Granted, it is nicer to spend your days and nights in a clean and tidy house, but will I even notice those things if I have completely lost my mind? Not likely.

I still miss this girl. The happy go lucky, footloose, fun-seeking girl....really, I miss the days when my hair did not look like a helmet. . . .but I refuse to give up on this lady: She is working harder than ever and still finding joy where she can.
See? Helmet hair. . .always!

Moms, I hereby give you permission to sit down, relax and pat yourself on the back. . .simply for making it through the morning! Revel in your helmet hair, your kids do not care.

7 comments:

  1. Becki, have you heard of MOPS (Mothers of PreSchoolers)? It is full of women just like you and me, and has provided with a lot of sanity and perspective. Would love to have you join us sometime! It's a ton of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laughing like always when I read your blog! I know you are doing great though! You are right where God wants you to be. It's so true that a clean house is not going to matter in the end! Your kids won't remember how clean the house was... But they will remember how much you love them and how much fun they had growing up in your home! Those two kids always look like they are having a blast! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. SO that! id what's wrong with my hair. Why has no one told me before!
    May I have a gold star if I thought about vacuuming but haven't gotten there yet?
    And bc you are preggy and did all the vacuuming, I say you get 3 gold stars!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i think you are doing Amazing!!!! Kevin and i are proud of you both and your little family!!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love to see you coming of age as a momma. *snicker*

    I loves you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. And you are doing GREAT! Stop being so hard on yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Speaking of MOPS, there is also a group called MOMS. Awesome group. We get together for two hours once a week and they provide childcare. For the first hour we listen to a guest speaker, talking about things that relate to us and our lives as moms. Then we break up into small groups (we keep the same small group all the time so we can form bonds and become close friends) for the last hour. During the large group time, we can enjoy snacks of all kinds, from healthy choices to not so good for you but oh so yummy treats. It is a wonderful time and they are pretty much all over. :) Will send you the link so you can look up one in your area!

    ReplyDelete